Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Burda Challenge and Mens Jacket Fittings

I made two items from the February 2014 issue.  My niece is getting married in June and thought that this combo might be a contender.
The Princess Seam Boatneck Top 104 and Pleated Skirt 105
They are both about 80% completed and that's how they'll probably stay forever... These were intended for a muslin to see if I liked the style on myself. The fabric looks like some weird upholstery on a 1950's couch. 
I also wanted to see if how it would sew up with a thick ponte knit omitting the need for zippers.
I will say that they are quite wearable, but I'll probably stick with woven.
The pattern calls for "Pique" or "Blouse Fabrics"

For the blouse, there's two concerns ...one which I can adjust... the width between the bust points is pretty far apart, and the seam sits too far to the sides. The second is the amount of fabric layers right at the point where the shoulder sleeves meet the upper bodice. I couldn't quite get the transition to flow as nice as it looks in the technical drawing. Maybe I did the armhole banding wrong?
I really trimmed the seams close too..

As far as the skirt... I've gotta say, Burda drafted this to perfection! It came together without a hitch. Just like my last skirt in January... just WOW! Love it!

Sorry I don't have a picture of me wearing it, but it does look better on me than the dress form, cause I've got the child bearing hips to fill it out! haha!

February wasn't a productive month in the sewing room. I spent a lot of time working on a muslin of Vogue 8940, Men's Jacket, for my youngest son. It fit OK on the whole, but the arms/ sleeves were really constricting. I adjusted the biceps width and raised the underarm hole, but it didn't help much. 
He came home twice this month from college, so we had two fittings. My middle son came home too, and it actually fit him better.
Maybe I should go up a whole size, but the pattern was the smaller version, and I made the largest. Maybe I should try the Thread Theory's Pea Coat. 
Has anyone made either of these jackets?




No comments:

Post a Comment