Friday, January 23, 2015

Stash busting Chiffon with New Look 6303

I fell in love New Look 6303, went to my stash and pulled out this lovely cotton/silk.
.....and then the fear struck.
What if it doesn't fit??
What if the style is bad for me??


So back to the stash I went, found 2.5 yards of Crinkle Poly/Chiffon (also from FabricMart... $1.99 a yard...WoooHooo) to use as a wearable muslin. No fear now, cause I'm not a chiffon-kind-of-gal!
I made view B with the elastic back.
Chiffon is really sheer, so I decided to underline the back using the self fabric.

What I learned about chiffon is...Life is too short to sew chiffon! Ugh
I even cut it on tissue paper. Pretty stretchy.

The underlined piece and the back piece didn't line up too hot. Chiffon, you're a jerk! I averaged them together and sewed away.
As it turns out, I love it! The sleeves are one layer, so kinds sheer... which makes a nice contrast. The back is a little short, therefor I can't bend over without showing some skin. Next time, I'm going with View C. 
I'm also going to grade up a little from size 14.. maybe it was the fabric..?
The instructions were fine. I hand sewed the neck binding down, which was a great choice. It looks nice without the line of machine stitching.
The front flip is so cool, which makes this a real winner in my book!


To further add to my stash busting effort, I made a scarf with the chiffon for Bailey.
See you next time! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks really nice. I don't like chiffon much either - yet seem to have a load in my stash - but you could wear this with pride. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think chiffon is evil! Your muslin looks much too good to be a muslin!

    ReplyDelete