Thursday, January 29, 2015

Challenge complete with two days to spare

Well, my peeps, my January Challenge is complete! I made BurdaStyle 109 from the January 2015 issue.
I have 2 1/2 years worth of issues and this is the first one I actually traced, sewed and completed! I first forgot to add seam allowances! Doh! I caught that pretty quickly.

At first, I was not crazy about how they fashioned it in the magazine. Evil snow queen?



It reminded me of something...?


But when I saw a few ladies' reviews, I was psyched to try it! This skirt even has more detailed instructions in the magazine. Bonus!
This skirt sews up pretty quickly, every piece fit together perfectly. I hemmed the skirt flounce side pieces before attaching them to the first layer. Here's how I hemmed it... Serged the edge and folded it up 1/4" and sewed. So easy, it's like cheating!

The fabric is wool, gifted to me from a ladies old stash. It comes with a little musty smell to it.
It's been ages since I put in an invisible zipper, since I've been sewing with knits so much. I referred to Sunni's Craftsy class "Mastering Zipper Techniques", which is invaluable! She's an excellent teacher and this is a free class!



Sorry for the dark pictures. My goal is to get better at photography. (Or sweet-talk my sweetie to!)
I put on heels for the photo, because my road-salt-stained boots didn't look too great. We just had a major snowstorm here in New England. I was close to the seacoast for work this morning, so spent some time with  my son and his girlfriend walking around in the quaint, historic town of Newmarket, NH. They had about 30 inches of snow there! It was a beautiful day, with the brilliant blue sky and white snow!
Thanks for reading!



2 comments: